Sunday, June 26, 2011

What I'm up to (why no #fridayflash stories)

Since I'm not posting many Friday Flash stories anymore, I thought I'd give a quick update on to what I've been up to, writing-wise. About a month ago, I finished the first draft of a young adult modern fantasy book--it involves a teen who discovers he has interesting powers thanks to meeting his true love, who happens to be a dragon. I always let my drafts sit for a month, and I figured in that time I would dash out quite a few flash fiction stories to have ready for Fridays for the foreseeable future. I got two done and posted them, but then something unexpected happened. A new novel-length idea came to me, and it wouldn't let go. This one isn't a YA book, but one a horror story for adults. I dived right into planning it, knowing I wouldn't really have time to write the thing with my YA novel due to be revised at the beginning of July. But I started plotting anyway. Today, after a couple of weeks, I finished with the plot outline, only to discover I need to add a few things that will change the outline, maybe not significantly, but enough to be more than simple paste-in jobs. But I really like this story, and I think these additions will only make it stronger. I have a feeling that starting next week I'll be revising the YA story and writing the first draft of this adult story each day. Busy, busy, busy, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I've never worked on two things at once before. Should be interesting.

So what does this mean for my Friday Flash stories? There will be none for the foreseeable future. If inspiration strikes, I may occasionally post one, but don't expect anything. Feel free to check out my past stories here on this blog (or you can download my first 50 for free at Smashwords--click the link on the right side of the page). I don't believe I'm done with Friday Flash, but for the moment, I'm having too much fun working on longer pieces. So now you know what I'm up to, writing-wise. See you all on Twitter and/or Facebook!