Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Novel Writing (1st in a series)

I've decided what my novel will be about. And then I decided to start a second one while I was planning the first. Counter-productive, yeah, I know, but I have a reason.

The novel I decided to write has all the buildings of a stand-alone fantasy epic, with suspense, action, romance, and all the good stuff that go into a great novel. So if I fail to deliver, I know it's not the fault of the idea. I'm in the process of planning it out, which may take some time. But that's a good thing, as it'll make for a deeper story right out of the chute. I will probably run through my process of building and plotting and all the other good stuff at a later date, but for now I want to continue with the process first.

With the second novel I decided to start on, I'm taking a whole different approach. This was the one I was originally going to do when I thought about it a week or so ago, but I just couldn't think of enough things to make it long enough to warrent writing. With my plotting, it was going to turn into just a long short story or a short novella. Not what I wanted, so I hit upon a better idea.

But this idea wouldn't go away. I still didn't have the makings for anything longer, so I decided I wouldn't plot it. I'd let my imagination run wild with it and just start typing. If it was destined to not become long enough to be a novel, I'd at least have something written. And who knows? Maybe my subconscious has a plan for it since it wouldn't let it go. I guess I'll find out. I've decided to write at least 2 pages a day, 6 days a week to find out. So far I've written 3, 3, and 4, so I'm doing better than my goal. My other project is not really taking a backseat as I'm still plotting it, but it may be a bit slower than I'd originally anticipated. They are two very different ideas, so I like that I don't get them jumbled in my mind.

That's all I'm going to post for now. As you can tell by the title of this particular post, I'll revisit this topic from time to time (maybe weekly, maybe bi-weekly, maybe whenever I feel like it). Until next time, keep reading and/or writing!