Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday Poetry--A Couple of Short Poems

I've never much been one for poetry, but a few things have made me want to try my hand at the art form. First, on Twitter I follow a bunch of writers who are either poets or who make poetry a part of their writing. Second, In researching children magazines, I enjoyed the simplicity but playfulness in many of the poems I read. They looked like they were a lot of fun to create. Third, I thought it might be a nice way to stretch my writing chops.

Will my poetry be any good? I don't know. I'm taking some time to work on it, so I guess we'll see. I decided to post my poetry on my blog each Wednesday to hopefully get some feedback (and to give myself the motivation to get going on some poems). These first few weeks will be old ones that I wrote about eight years ago when I was in a creative writing class. I decided I liked them well enough to share with the world. Plus it'll give me a few weeks to get into the swing of writing in this difficult (and different) genre.

This week, in what I'm dubbing Wednesday Poetry hear on my writing spot, I'll feature two short poems from all those years ago. I hope you enjoy them.

The Crowd

The crowd rocks.
The crowd sways.
The crowd grooves.

A field of
tall grass blowing
in the wind.

A Single Ray of Light on a Cloudy Afternoon in a Downtown Bookstore

He spots her
across the room
and throws
a suggestive smile.

She shyly catches it
and can't help
tossing one back.
Coffee for two?


I hope you enjoyed these two pieces. I'll post more next Wednesday.