Friday, April 13, 2012

Chapter 8 Part 1--Ghost Betweens

Click to read Chapter Seven

Chapter 8 Part 1

As Josh walked up to the front door, he saw right away his mom was home. He pushed the door open and yelled, "Hi, Mom, I'm home."

She stuck her head out of the kitchen. "About time. I wanted you to do the damn grocery shopping today, but you're nowhere to be found. I've got too much going on to do it myself."

"Sorry. I joined a . . ."

"I don't care what you did. If you have time for foolishness, you have time to get a job and help out around here. I do too much as it is."

"I can't get a job. I have a ton of homework, and come spring and all through summer, not to mention fall, I have football practice."

"Tough, Mister. It's time you start pulling your weight. Starting tomorrow after school, I want you out looking for a job."

"Pulling my weight? How often do I ask you for any money? How often do I clean the house, top to bottom, without you even prompting me?"

"And I have two jobs, so boo-hoo for you. Tomorrow. You hear me?"

Josh started to say something, but kept his mouth shut. No need to make this worse. She just had a bad day. By tomorrow this'll all have blown over and she wouldn't even mention this. He stalked up the stairs.

Halfway up, she yelled, "Do you hear me?"

"Yes, fine, I hear you," he called over his shoulder and continued up. At the top of the landing, something shot past him and down the hall. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. What the heck was that? He looked down to see if Mom saw it, too, but she'd already headed into the kitchen. It reminded him of the ghosts at the farm, the ones that he only saw out of the corner of his eye. This one had been right in front of him, though. It had gone towards his room, but he was pretty sure it moved past the door, so he should be safe.

He shook his head. He hadn't really seen it anyway, right? It was just his nerves from the argument with Mom and the frights at the farm. Yeah, that's all it had been. He headed into his room and threw himself down on his bed. Homework could wait a few minutes.

Click to read Chapter Eight Part Two

Click to return to the Preview Hub