Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Two Stories To Listen To

This week I again have two podcast stories: a horror story from Pseudopod and a science fiction story from The Drabblecast. To listen, either use the link to their site below, or do what I do and download them from iTunes. Search for the podcast name and then find the episode number, which I have below, and download it. Or better yet, subscribe and get new great stories each week!

The first story comes from Pseudopod. It's a strange little horror story. It's Episode 180: The Getalong Gang by Barrie Darke. Nothing overtly horrible happens, but it brings you along for a neat little ride through the main character's thoughts, which may or may not be reliable. I took it that the main character's sanity was up to the reader (listener) to decide. In it, he sees various little details about his family that seem off to him, and he believes it is a huge conspiracy to enslave the human race. This one's definitely worth a listen.

The second story this week is from The Drabblecast. I knew I'd enjoy this one before I even heard it for two reasons: First, it's about time travel, and time travel stories always intrigue me. Second, the author is Tim Pratt, and since I've been listening to these podcast stories, I've heard a few of his stories, and none have disappointed. This one is Episode 150: Morris and the Machine. When we think of time travel stories (or at least when I do), we usually think of characters going back in time and doing things to change their present life-style (or being very careful to not change anything). This one was a bit different. Morris invented a machine that only could take him back to one time in history, and instead of being his exact past, they are parallel universes. Personally, the concept of parallel universes fascinates me almost as much (or maybe as much) as time travel, so this story was a slam dunk. I hope you enjoy it, too.

As always, I'm not doing this for any reason other than I enjoyed these stories, and I want people to check out free short story content available on the web. I'm getting no compensation from either the web sites or the authors. I just want you to enjoy these stories as much as I did. Give 'em both a listen this week. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Until next time, keep reading and/or writing.